Report collection agency for abuse

If you are being harassed by a debt collector, you can report the collection agency to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC overseas the federal law for collection agencies, the FDCPA. Under this law, all collection agencies in the Unites States are regulated and must abide with fair collection practices when collecting from consumers. Note that in order for you to report a collection agency for violating the FDCPA, the agency must not be an internal department of the creditor to whom you owe money. For example, if you owe money on a department store credit card and the internal collections department of that store is calling to collect, then they are not regulated by this act. As long as this is not so, you can report the collection agency for violating this act. To report the collection agency, you can contact the FTC at the following address:

Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580

There may also be further laws at the state level under which you may report the collection agency for harassment or illegal activities. For these laws, you should contact your relevant state legislature.

Tips for what to do before you report collection agency

As soon as you suspect the collection agency is breaking the law, you should immediately start keeping proper records of every interaction you have with them. This will be very important at the time you eventually report collection agency to the FTC. Note the date, time and exactly what they say or do. Safely store all written correspondence from the collection agency and avoid being drawn into any lengthy discussions with them on the phone. If you initiate any correspondence with the collection agency, always do so in writing. Also, it is best to use registered or trackable mail. When you are ready to report the collection agency, make a proper summary of everything you have noted down. As this point it is helpful to first read the FDCPA and determine exactly which illegal practises have been violated. Properly list each violation in your report.

Report collection agency and then sue them

Once you have reported the collection agency, you can also seek the advice of a consumer law attorney for further action. If the collection agency has severely violated the FDCPA, your attorney may recommend suing them. The FDCPA provides for both real and punitive damages. If you win after you report and sue the collection agency, the FDCPA entitles you to collect your legal costs from the debt collector. Just imagine, the collection agency's bad behaviour can actually result in them having to pay you money.

Home    Advertising Info    Contact Us